6/08/2012

Replay Overview: "New characters, corner pocket," -- SFxT, AE2012

Street Fighter X Tekken
After much frustration with the "matchmaking," in SFxT I've decided that seeking "any," rank is equivalent to "same," and I get the added bonus of picking on newbs, along with *not* losing a ton of points to the B and A ranks.
 
Oloren (Sagat x Ogre) vs Eienhikaru / Boshadro (Lili x Asuka) Ranked Match 06/01/2012
Props to Bosh for picking Asuka back up in SFxT, and holding it down all 3rd round! That was some super-yomi at ~4:16 for using her Falling Rain to blow up Ogre's drop attack. I think everyone playing went "OMG" when that busted open his setup. She didn't get rusty at all, good show!


Eienhikaru / Boshadro (Chun-Li x Julia) vs CryX4 (Vega x Kazuya) Ranked Match 06/01/2012
2v2 Paired Versus can't even save this match. If I had a more thought-out complaint about SFxT it's that you get rewarded for turtling, running away, and spamming only "safe," stuff. I see this with characters Vega, Nina, Rolento even Heihachi to a certain degree. I despise the fact I (as Chun-Li) cannot respond/counter/challenge all the air-claw spam that goes on in this match. So much so that the Vega decides this is all he's going to do, and gets away with it.

Super Street Fighter 4 AE2012
I remember days where seeking matches in SF4/AE were dreadful even after the first release of AE, these days it seems really popular. I don't know what spiked the interest all of a sudden, SFxT sending people back to AE maybe(?) who knows.


Eienhikaru (Chun-Li) vs Havok2144 (Guile) Ranked Match 05/26/2012
Historically I've had really crap luck in the Guile/Blanka matchup, and initially when I saw his rank I was expecting this to pan out like most of my vs Guile matches. Seeing how I nearly start out the match with a crappy Ultra at ~0:44 it's already starting to look bad. Most of the advice I've seen is to "allow them to move to the offensive, and punish any mistakes." What might have helped me was Havok seems to underestimate my sweep distance and this probably ruffled his approach / responses. When he sticks out that 2.MP at ~2:34, I was expecting this for his hit confirm into Flash Kick, but judging by the inputs I wonder if he didn't want a Sonic Boom instead. Either way, I'm pretty stoked I reaction-punished that instead of repeating what happened 1st round.


Eienhikaru (Chun-Li) vs Miguel_2123 (Sagat) Ranked Match 05/26/2012
I'm used to seeing higher ranked numbers off of YogaFlame's YouTube Channel, not necessarily PSN. Props to Miguel_2123 for being 10th ranked Sagat on PSN. I sorta feel lucky I was able to hit him at all


TOMASE666 (Ken) vs Eienhikaru (Chun-Li) Ranked Match 05/27/2012
There were too many Shoryukens that I "blocked with my face," this match. Despite the special spam I was actually scared because you can kind of get away with that shit as Ken due to the high priority of all those moves, SRK, air Tatsu etc. Where I see him crack is that random Ultra at ~1:20. Now I know what to look for. However he's watching meters a bit more closer than I am when he gets that 2nd Ultra, that's actually pretty rare to get 2 Ultras I've seen. I don't know how it didn't just kill me seeing how we're both pixels away from dying. 3rd Round is looking pretty grim too, I think if he moved a bit into mid range and started SRK-ing again he would have had me. Amazing what a change of distance does when I throw him into the corner at ~2:34, all I remember being focused on was baiting that Ultra.

As a change of pace, I will work more some new and existing pocket / sub characters. This has been pretty gradual, some casuals on Pyrrha (SCV) here, some trials with Elizabeth (KoFXIII) there. Not to mention that it's been irksome that I can still only play Litchi in Blazblue. So for the following weeks or so I hope to have more of the following character replays posted:
BB:CSX: Mu - 12
I already need better BnB's and a better idea for approach. I took her for a spin in Arcade this week and my crappy day 1 training, and wimpy combos got destroyed by the Unlimited Hakumen boss.
KOFXIII: Elizabeth / Yuri / Iori (Claw)
This team may see some heavier revision. Originally I wanted to use K' as my anchor, but the few player matches I had with TimeAppl3 makes me think I need someone a bit more intuitive. Also I should probably learn Yuri better, I'm probably playing her too much like a Sakura (AE).
AE: Cammy
I think I subconciously dropped her when she got nerfed (like most everyone else it seemed) in Super. I don't think I've seriously played her since her Shadowloo outfit came out, if that gives you any idea how long ago that was.
SFxT: Cammy / Asuka / Julia
If my Chun Li  / Lili is a "yin" team, I'd like to see if I can roll a "yang," team of Cammy / Asuka. I want to Play Asuka as a more serious pocket character but I can't remember her inputs at all for stuff. Doesn't help me at all that her counter inputs are the complete opposite to Lili's. If that goes south with learning Asuka, Julia's really awesome too.
SCV: Pyrrha / Natsu
I have reached my "Taki," phase of Soul Calibur V. Usually a late-game thing where I have plateaued with my usuals and want to rotate in who I "wanted" to play from the very beginning. I've had this phase / problem since SC2, and every SC game now, including SCV. The biggest challenge is Natsu's / Taki's moves are so unique that my brain can't seem to remember anything from the training besides a sweeping 1A and 3B. I can use the her bomb move easy, but the airgrab followup never happens right.
Pyrrha on the other hand, caught me off guard in terms of how intuitive she was. She has a great deal of moves to close distance and keep pressure on people. I didn't know any of this until I'd seen her played at UFGT8. I had originally thought that her "weak," looking stance and stylized hesitations in attacking would keep her slow and defenseless, but I was totally wrong with that assumption. (If you want a spoiler of some of my progress, then by all means...)

No comments:

Post a Comment