Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012
Coming back to AE has been nothing less than awesome. I was afraid initially that SFxT would have overpowered the AE scene. However, the lagging response to improve SFxT has re-stoked our enjoyment of AE to a point that SFxT feels like a bad fanfic attempt at a game. Boshadro put it best when he said "Playing AE felt like going home."
We did some player matches last week and here are some of the funnier replays we ended up with. A term I heard in '93 from a friend called "Mayonnaise Moves," comes to mind when watching these. It was explained to me when characters slip out of a corner randomly or other odd "not-in-this-realm-of-physics," collisions happen in game. Think of the characters as slippery and "being covered in mayonnaise."
Eienhikaru (Chun-Li) vs TimeAppl3 (Dan) Player Match 05/17/2012
SF4 laughs in the face of gravity and momentum at ~2:26 as I attempt an EX Bird Kick, and TimeAppl3 gets his arm gets caught in the calamity. It's moments like this I wish we had player cams to get our reactions.
Eienhikaru (Chun-Li) vs Boshadro (Zangief) Player Match 05/17/2012
Another incident of unintended priority testing at ~1:48. The setup is hilarious and while we weren't questioning 'Geif's strength, I wasn't sure that his AGI stats were capped out like that too! I thought it would have been hilarious if he stayed airborne and we spin away from each other like repelled magnets. Yet, hurt boxes are hurt boxes and we all get blown up.King of Fighters XIII
Eienhikaru (Athena, King, Mai) vs R1OMA (Mai, Elizabeth, Chin) Ranked Match 05/09/2012
Huge huge props to R1OMA's Mai in this ranked match for KOF13. Streams blow up Mai all day saying she "has no combos," or "has no options," it's good to see players kicking tier lists to the curb. I was glad to see his Mai in action, had he chosen Elizabeth or Chin to roll first I wouldn't have seen her at all given how this went down. As of now, it's super overdue that I work on my HD combos. Even if I don't have a clean mid-combo opening for one, getting just the rhythm and basics down would be a huge leap for me.
Overall the new schedule has been really nice to break off the rust for stuff like KoF and Blazblue. If anything else it's been a great rehabilitating step away from SFxT. I'm not putting the game on blast, but the "shiny," factor of the game has worn off and it's a good time to refocus my efforts to games that aren't going to make me insta-rage.
No comments:
Post a Comment