2/05/2012

Replay Overview, "21 Days Too Long" : SSF4AE, KOF13, BB:CS2

Super Street Fighter 4 AE2012
As the title states it's been exactly 21 days since I've played any AE2012. The time apart's been good for some brushing up on Marvel and getting reacquainted with Blazblue. What it hasn't been good for is letting the rust settle in again.


XxSitHappensxX(Chun-Li White) vs Eienhikaru(Chun-Li Red) 02-04-2012 Ranked Match
Seriously, no joke. My first day back on ranked AE and I fight another Chun Li user. Considering the sluggishness in my play, and disappointing punishes, what I really need to be mindful of is my mid-air game. At ~0:39 and ~2:30 I'm doing empty jump ins to gain some ground and I'm not expecting him to meet me up there and blow me up. SitHappens is also a different Chun-Li player than me. I feel like I'm a "safer," version reliant on mid-long spacing , where he's willing to bait things out for Chun's 4.MK > Tenshokyaku string, and EX Spinning Bird Kicks. The Tenshokyaku string is flashy, but severely punishable like you see in the second round. I feel like I might be too conservative with my EX meter after re-watching this. Also, I need to repractice my Ultra conversions, those big whiffs were not lag, that was all rust.


Eienhikaru(Sakura) vs DemonEyesLeo(Adon) 02-04-2012 Player Match
Played some sets with DemonEyesLeo as well. Mad props to his B-Ranked Adon, as you can see my Chun-Li isn't even that high! As with the SitHappens matchup my ultra conversion at ~1:47 is non-existent here. This one looks like it was too early. I'm beginning to understand why DemonEyesLeo's rank is higher because  his spacing with Adon was very smart, and mixups are different than other Adons I've seen online who rely solely on Rising Jaguar priorty, and throw baits.

King of Fighters XIII

Aozaki_Kyo(Kensou, Kula, Kyo EX) vs Eienhikaru(Kula, King, Mai) 02-01-2010 Ranked Match
One of the first few games I've had on KoF13 since the new netcode patch has been out. It's improved a great deal. Now I really have no excuse to not be putting more time on KoF. This is posted more for suna_19's enjoyment, who is also a Kensou user. I was really disappointed with this match only because  Aozaki_Kyo had a sick customization of Kula. His choices in coloring made her look exactly like C.C. from Code Geass. But I wasn't able beat his first, or second character to see it.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 2

Eienhikaru(Litchi) vs mr_nagooyen(Arakune) 01-31-2012 Ranked Match
So the new version of BB:CS2 is coming out in 11 days, and I've been running into more less-than-50th-level players a lot recently. This is my third match with mr_nagooyen in as many sessions. Arakune's are an uncommon character so I don't quite know the matchup. I feel like I get tripped up on where Arakune is most times and I'm lost on his priority. In this match I can't help but get myself cursed and just destroyed in the process. The turnaround is dramatic at ~1:.36 where I have nearly 90% life and just lose it all during his curse spam. I have to resort to mashing out a Tsubame Gaeshi just to break the momentum.


Eienhikaru(Litchi) vs KoopaDoopa(Litchi) 02-01-2012 Ranked Match
Let's play a game of "Is it conversion, or is it legit?" The first one starts at ~1:02 with a 6.A > Hatsu > Chun then dashes into a 5.B, 6.C cancel etc. It's too bad I didn't get to fight him again. I'd call legit if he did it 2 more times. The conversion is beautiful don't get me wrong, but I shy away from situational / improv tech.
The next full combo starts at ~1:10 and extends through 1:19. This I feel is legit/reproducible because I've seen similar setups occur, I'm just shocked at how the links are made with the staff being sent and brought back. I got lucky that his Daisharin started at 2 (straight down) instead of 1 (his angled left). This match makes me sad that my Litchi has plateau'ed for so long without any new tech. There's so much I don't fully know with her, and yet she's my only good character in BB.


Eienhikaru(Litchi) vs Judgemastar(Hakumen) 02-02-2012 Ranked Match
Hakumen has become my 2nd least favorite matchup for a number of reasons. Primarily for longer range pokes, and the ability to counter within valid blockstrings. The corner control from ~1:03 to ~1:17 was infuriating for me. The second j.C from him at 1:16 to keep me back there was particularly rage-inducing for me. That 14 seconds of game time was an eternity.
I'm actually a bit confused as to why his counters at ~0:51 and ~2:13 didn't take, the ones after my Itsuu.B. Those look valid and I've been further away and gotten blown up like that before. I got stupid lucky at ~2:38 that I didn't input an A when he dropped his DD counter like that. I honestly couldn't tell you if I messed up my inputs or was expecting him to try and counter.
My last and final beef with Hakumen is his DD counter. Recently in an unposted replay, a Hakumen caught me with a DD counter, and I had enough time to cram down on my 1 and Barrier Block to feel safe. NOPE! That Hakumen cut right through it for a killing stroke. Spoilers - the same thing happens here, but I'm freaking BEHIND HIM. Hide the hitbox much? Rage!! I'm starting to think Hakumen is more trollish of a character than Hazama.


Eienhikaru(Litchi) vs Yukito-chan(Rachel) 02-02-2012 Ranked Match
Matches against Rachel make me feel like the slowest learner in the class at times. One of my frequent opponents SBRS-Bulange has used her as a main, but it's still not enough for me to turn a lot of these winning matches. Overall my sloppiness in this match is bordering unremarkable. I am uncertain how a dash suddenly turned into a Daisharin. Where you see nothing happen for a good 2 seconds is me going "WTF, I didn't do that!" I commend the close, inward-drive where he pulls me in and drops Baden-Baden Lily at ~2:02. It may not be new but I've been seeing more of that same maneuver lately.

Yukito-chan's defense at ~1:48 through ~1:58 is astounding, or maybe he just had me with a genius download. Either way that level of reading your opponent, and patience is a key aspect to fighting games, and I can respect that level of skill. I hope that later games do not try and take away the potential for defense in favor of forcing people to rush in *cough*Marvel*cough*
I've heard similar sentiments on WakeUpSRK regarding Soul Calibur V's changes where normal parries are now gone and Gaurd Impact eats meter. What's replaced parrying is the Just Guard. (besides that video by Aris I haven't been able to draw out my full opinion on it, more on that after I get SCV!)
I'm saddened by that prospect because that changes the "3-Dness" of the game to keep the players in close quarters and facing each other. Under the old parry systems you could force a player to either side and change your footing, like in actual sword fighting! IMO Gaurd Impacts, and Just Impacts were rare enough that it couldn't have been abused.

No comments:

Post a Comment