12/12/2011

No Apologies Necessary.

Marvel vs Capcom 3
Lately I've been trying to wrap my head around some of the varied aspects of MvC3. Whatever "Street Fighter," approach I've been trying to apply to it has not worked for me at all. While it hasn't been explicit here, I've never really "understood," the game, and it shows; so I'm really just making up for lost play time.
Considering that Ultimate's been out for almost a month now, I accept that a great deal of people have already left the Vanilla scene. The inability to seek out matches with closer rank/skill is nigh impossible, so I'm hoping that the leftover 2 or3 network trophies that hinge on ranked matches will come by luck rather than time.
Tonight I ran into a player that utterly destroyed me - I think what set the match apart, was he really stuck with an extended  6-7 hit 5.L, then finally into the larger set of the combo. It was frustrating, but consistent.
Clearly it was quicker than I gave it credit for, and he just annihilated me. The matchup was on the football player punching a baby level. It was bad sure, but I'm in raw, ranked match territory. I was expecting this from the beginning.
I'll respect it, I know my Marvel is scrubby - but I get a message back from the opponent. I was sort of expecting shit talk "herp derp gb2SSB" or similar, but instead I get this: "sorry i took it out on u" [sic].
I'm still at a loss, I've never been apologized to, certainly not in a fighting game. I won't begrudge him for noting the differences in skill, but my reading of the message is as though he's apologizing for an episode of newb stomping and blowing off steam. Pragmatically, I feel like apologies are misplaced in competitive, PVP games. Anyone who decides to pick up the stick or controller, especially in a fighting game, knows what they're signing on for. This is not a co-op game, we're playing for personal progress and higher numbers. Obviously what your game is and what you're using works, but seriously, keep your apologies for the casuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment