4/13/2012

Replay Overview: "Scrubs and Subs," -- SFxT

Street Fighter X Tekken
Wow, what a crazy month it's been. SFxT got released and I just lost a month of my life LOL. Overall my time with SFxT has had it's ups and downs. I got C Rank in mid-March and my ranked partner and I fell into a longer-than-comfortable loss streak which bottomed out my points. Bosh (Boshadro, who you see me teamed up with in these vids) and others have said that "it's not all about the points," and I get that it's not a direct representation of skill. However as a raw score, it shows you're winning more matches than you're losing, so that's where a lot of my frustration occurs with losing.

The patches we've seen so far have helped a bit, we're starting to see a lot less of the "carbon skinned," jet black characters which looked silly IMO. The neon colors look cool as hell, I would like if they did a low light level maybe or even a blacklight level as DLC. I'm not quite sure what or where the "sound fix" patch really applies, Bosh and I were in the lab this week and we got back to where the collision flashes were getting lost and that tinny, "mobile phone," shift in the music still occurs. I've heard it still happen in local games too, I would have assumed if you fixed the issue in your networked games, it would work the same in local too.
The rest of this wishlist looks like anyone elses in terms of fixing matchmaking, netcode, the lag bars being a bit more representative etc etc. Anyways, onto some recent replays:



Boshadro / Eienhikaru (Julia x Chun-Li) vs Kuptain (Lili x Poison) 04/05/2012 Ranked Match
This was a hilarious matchup coming right after the costume patch on the 4th. 4 characters, 2 of the same swap outfits everyone sort of on the same "Yo dawg..." hivemind haha.
Obvious flaws on my part are a lot of whiffs on my 2.MK > Hyakuretsukyaku (~1:13, 1:39). I can't tell why this seems to be so inconsistent for me. I'm not hit confirming properly which results in that heart-breaking whiff of a super at ~3:29 and again at ~4:11. The whole point of hit confirms is to not waste meter like I'm doing. On the flipside Kuptain kept his Poison well out of striking distance from me and exploits Lili's multihit overhead on Bosh and I all day. GGs, Kuptain props on that Lili.


SOapBEEst (Kazuya x Heihachi) vs Eienhikaru / Boshadro (Chun-Li x Julia) 04/10/2012 Ranked Match
The lesson from this replay is DON'T BE A HERO! Spoilers, SOapBEEst may have lasted longer if he'd used more than 50% of his team. Marked improvement for Bosh's Julia, and props to the flashy Super kill in the first round. SFxT doesn't have snapbacks, so if it means ending the round, meter's meant for burning!


ZomBieEdDude (Paul x Law) vs Eienhikaru / Boshadro (Lili x Julia) 04/11/2012 Ranked Match Match 1
This match is part of set that makes you wonder "why didn't I think of that?" Obviously not everyone saw the UltraChenTV episode where they talk about reducing the amount of moves before a launcher to keep your damage scaled to a minimum. You'll see me do some form of M > Launcher most often and so far I'm liking it. What he seems to be exploiting is when you start from a 5.L those are super fast and generally don't trade. Also  he's spamming the ABC > Launcher to lock us down and eat time off the clock, roughly 3-5 seconds for each successful exchange and follow up. Add to the other factors like his Auto-Noob Block GEM, and us not expecting this level of persistent asshattery, it actually starts to work. Salty props to that troll quick combo kill at ~4:11.
One executional problem I've been seeing with Lili lately has been trying to land 2.M > Overhead (see the match with Kuptain). Instead of the overhead I get a DP which has no range and whiffs, this happens at ~6:07 and likely could have turned this match around. This is odd considering it's a fundamental Shoto move, if I had  2.MK > DP happen more often, I'd probably have a better Sakura than Chun-Li :< .


ZomBieEdDude (Paul x Law) vs Eienhikaru / Boshadro (Chun-Li x Julia) 04/11/2012 Ranked Match Match 2
The very first runback I've had in Ranked! I wish you could issue a Runback challenge that counted towards Rank Points. You can still call for a rematch, but it's done in Player Match which is great if you're into moral victories I suppose. Since it feels like I'm levelling a sub character with Lili, I ran with Chun-Li to get those points back. I still had problems under-estimating the speed of ABC > Launcher, and I'm losing my 2.MK > Hyakuretsu again at ~2:24 and ~2:36. Despite the momentum of the first round we still ended up to laming this out. Overall the ABC > Launcher mega spam must work on some level, he clearly got enough points to rank up to C (1K+). However the long run may not be so good for him considering he was back down to 500 in these couple matches though.



Eienhikaru / Boshadro (Lili x Julia) vs FrostDeity (Lili x Asuka) 04/11/2012 Ranked Match
I shouldn't let the first round get me thinking that I'm "good," with certain characters. I figured since I was keeping the life lead for the first little bit, I could measure up to another Lili user. Turns out I'm forgetting a great deal of her moves and again i'm still plagued with execution errors and the hivemind trades / throw whiffs make me laugh though (~1:05 and ~2:28). Calling FrostDeity just a "Lili user," is unfair, while he does get her groove back later in the match, you really see his talents blow us up with his Asuka at ~1:20 with that really clean looking extended combo.

Bosh did clue me in on something this week that I can try, to improve execution, and my overall offensive approach. My fight "style," tends to be 'responsive,' and by that I mean, a majority of what I'm doing is mostly responding to whatever the opponent does. I think the logic behind how this takes over is that I will either, blow up what the opponent is doing and block / punish as best as possible. Much of my damage is in knockdowns and anti-airs that I'm not converting into offensive pressure. This becomes easy to rinse / repeat when you have opponents that continue the same approach repeatedly, or if I'm able to respond successfully to a different mixup. Basically, if I'm able to break momentum even semi-consistantly, I'm doing little to no work while the scrub is wearing him/herself down in terms of the life bar.
This actually gives me a great deal of insight as to why my Marvel has never improved. I'm 'waiting for something to punish,' and most times the approach in that game has mixup shenanigans, or sometimes a true unblockable setup. Even if my opponent drops the setup, the damage I get from just 'stopping,' them isn't great enough to ensure me a victory.
Thinking on it more that's why the Hsien-Ko / Ghost Rider / (Morrigan or Trish) team has been 'working out,' more often. I start with Hsein-Ko's armour, swap out for Ghost Rider and lame them out with the Sempu-Bu (armoured) assist and his big ass chain. Most teams just barrel on in and either my assist or Ghost Rider will blow up the approach. ( For reference this is how a game would go with this team, Props to ComboFiend! )

With that in mind, a new goal is to work on my "offensive conversion," and ideally some worthwhile time in the lab to work out these executional inconsistancies. Thanks again for reading and watching!
~Eienhikaru

No comments:

Post a Comment